Yoga Gem is registered with Yoga Alliance to provide Yoga Teacher Training at the 200 and 300 hour levels.
Teacher Training at Yoga Gem is developed and led by Owner Liz Campbell. Liz earned a Bachelor Degree and Master’s Degree in Nursing from the University holds a Masters in Military Study from Air Command and Staff College. She obtained her 200 yoga teaching credentials while studying Ayurveda at the Ayurvedic Institute in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She achieved her 300 hour training with Subtle Yoga in Ashville North Carolina.
200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
200 hour Teacher Training at Yoga Gem explores many theories, philosophies, styles, and practices of yoga. Training focuses on Hatha Yoga and Ayurveda. Students spend the first part of the class honing their own practice in order to teach from their transformational experience. The second portion of the course focuses on developing as yoga teachers. The 200 hour course begins in Late August or September and ends in March. Students attend one weekend a month and an 8 day teaching intensive in early March. Total tuition $2800. Books are an additional expense. Trainees must commit to the entire program, but may pay $500 before each of the 5 weekends and the balance of $300 for the 8 day teaching intensive. Students get the most out of Teacher Training when they are able to complete it without interruption. The question on the application that asks what might prevent you from completing the course is a serious one we want you to think about. We understand unexpected things happen, and with an additional fee and lead teacher permission, you may be able to make missed portions of the class at an additional cost.
Areas of study include:
- How to language Asana for energetic and anatomic alignment
- Study of the Yoga Sutras
- Study of Ayurveda as it relates to yoga theory and asana
- How to read a student’s body and identify energetic and anatomical imbalances
- When to sedate or activate the vayus according to Ayurveda
- Study of physical anatomy and physiology as it relates to yoga
- How to correct anatomical misalignment with verbal instruction
- Where to integrate Chakras, Pranayama, Bandhas and the elements of Ayurveda into asana practice
- How to meet students where they are an take them forward in Asana
If you are interested in becoming a yoga teacher, we recommend you begin planning in advance with a home practice. Attend classes on a regular basis, and read the Yoga Sutras by Patanjali are additional ways to prepare. A strong yoga teaching practice begins with a strong personal yoga practice.
To apply for Teacher Training click on the link below and email the completed application back to YogaGemLLC@gmail.com. There is no fee to apply. Applications will be taken between May 1 and July 15 for the class beginning in September.
YTT Weekend 3: Nov 1 – 3
300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
The 300 hours course builds on the foundations of Yoga Gem’s 200 hour course. Training will explore in greater depth concepts introduced from Yoga Gem’s 200 hour survey course. Information on specific student populations including teaching trauma informed yoga is explored. Our anatomy and physiology section includes finding in neurobiology about neuroplasticity, and the role yoga can play in brain changes. The Ayurveda section goes into that perspective on how disease develops, called sampropti which can give yoga teachers useful information for practices to soothe symptoms. Deeper concepts of the yoga sutras are covered along with the Bhagavad Gita to delve more deeply into this foundational work.
Teachers registered at the 200 hour level from Yoga Gem and from other trainings who wish to add to their depth of knowledge are welcome to join the 300 hour training; diversity in backgrounds will strengthen the course adding differing perspectives to discussions. The course begins in April every even year. It meets for twelve 3-day weekends once a month over the course of a year. Total tuition $4,200. Books are an additional expense. Trainees must commit to the entire program, but may pay $350 before each training session (8).
- Student has achieved the 200 hour YTT training
- Student is able to commit to one weekend a month. Friday 2pm-7, Sat 8am-5:30, Sun 8am-3:30
Areas of study includes:
- Beyond the Doshas into Samprapti with Ayurveda
- Complex Concepts of the Sutras and the Bagavad Gita
- Advanced Anatomy and Physiology of Yoga
- Incorporating Energetic Theories into Asana and Lifestyle
- The Profession of Yoga-How Can We Serve and Make a Living
- Professional Organizations and Registering a School with Yoga Alliance
- Population Health-Using the Language of Yoga and Wellness to Convince Administrators to Contract
- History, Hinduism, Vedas, and Eastern Culture
- Conducting a literature search to support a claim
The final project in the training gives trainees the opportunity to present a two hour workshop geared toward a population of their choice. The course coaches trainees on how to develop a workshop as the weekends proceed.
To apply for Teacher Training click on the link below and email the completed application back to YogaGemLLC@gmail.com. There is no fee to apply.